Methods of diagnosis and evaluation of the technological properties of facing stone
Subject: a natural stone in architecture, arts, and crafts.
Mail goal: consider the relationship between geology, geography, history and architecture of a big city on the example of St. Petersburg.
Target audience: students and PhD students in geosciences, as well as specialists in geology and materials sciences.
School participants will get acquainted with the unique architectural monuments and stony treasures in the museum's collections.
Lectures and master-classes will be dedicated to the usage of natural stone in different periods of the St. Petersburg history, the types of stone characteristic for different architectural styles, the problem of the stone monuments preserving and restoring in the big industrial city.
During practical classes, students will be able to master the skills of diagnosing natural stone in architectural monuments and assess their safety with the help of modern laboratory equipment.
In addition to the main program, there are excursions to the natural stone deposits (“Vozrozhdenie”, “Putilovskoe”), as well as to the Marble Palace and the Hermitage.
- Facing stone in architecture and art
- Ornamental stones: classification and use
- Native stone in the buildings and monuments of St. Petersburg
- Technological properties of native facing stone
- Methods of processing natural facing stone
- Classification of deposits of building and facing stone
- Deposits of building stone in the St. Petersburg region
- The problem of conservation of stone in architectural monuments