Environmental Challenges of Megacities
The Programme gives an excellent opportunity to acquire theoretical knowledge and practical skills in assessing the quality of urban air, water, soils, and plants through the use of Big Data and subsequently ensuring the environmental safety of a million-plus city. State-of-the-art techniques aimed at securing the stable functioning of urban ecosystems will be studied as well. Attendees will master two blocks of competencies.
Diagnostics, i.e. assessing the environmental quality of urban landscapes. This gives an idea on how to collect statistical information about a megacity from open sources, e.g. satellite images, scholar databases, and production reports; to design engineering and ecological surveys in urban landscapes; to plan and monitor integrated quality indicators in a city.
Treatment, i.e. improving the situation and ensuring environmental safety. This part includes skills of reclamation and remediation methods application in urban landscapes based on the gathered data on the level of disturbance and pollution; developing a municipal solid waste management strategy; solving the issues of ensuring the balance of energy consumption and environmental safety; organising water discharge and wastewater treatment; designing and establishing the effective urban specially protected natural areas; team working, presenting the results of environmental engineering surveys, and delivering a scientific report.
- Applying Big Data to assess the state of the environment in a megacity
- Biological monitoring to assess the quality of the environment
- Application of a lab research complex for environmental modelling
- Ensuring the environmental safety of the transport infrastructure of a city
- Resource consumption and environmental safety: how to achieve a balance in a megacity?
- Drawing up a project for the restoration and remediation of urban landscapes based on data on the level of disturbance and pollution
- West Kotlin Island Urban Natural Reserve
- Municipal Solid Waste Landfill of Saint Petersburg
- Southwest Wastewater Treatment Plant of Saint Petersburg
- Saint Petersburg Metro